Providing Internet connectivity to the residents and businesses of New
Potholes and Rough Roads
- Perceptions - the Internet is not static. Be prepared for
things to change. Use it to your advantage!
- Customers use browsers with different capabilities.
- High volume requires more financial and technological
- The technology is changing.
Your ``page'' is a service provided to your customers. Like your:
- Newspaper Ads
- TV/Radio Ads
- Magazine Ads
- Prepare to update your page(s) with
Pricing, Schedules, Specials, Staff Changes
Arrange with your service provider and/or Webmaster.
Nice, but slow. Must be optimized for speed.
Animation requires special browsers.
Web readers are always in a hurry - they don't like to wait for pages
Nice, but not all browsers have the capability.
No widely accepted standard.
- Can follow links and display text.
- Can display graphics, tables.
- Can do audio, animation.
Prepare your ``page'' for the browser class you want your customers to
have. Provide textual references for all links - don't rely on
When your page takes a lot of ``hits''...
- Start small and grow. Get advice from someone who has done it
- Graphic ‐ intensive pages will require higher bandwidth.
- More bandwidth = More $$
Your own server.
- If you have frequent updates.
- Justified if you have high-interest pages, direct access to
internal databases, or an interest in running your own server.
- Allow for more controlled growth.
- Require a certain amount and type of expertise.
Your Own Server
- Computer (> 386)
- Server and Networking Software
- 24 hour Internet connection
- Good site (24 hour HVAC, power, physical access)
- HTML and Internetworking skills
- Tracking Technology
- Stick with a version that works. Don't move until you have
- Join a User's Group with similar interests
- Wait for the ``flash'' to die down.